Above All Tree Services

Obtaining Approval for Tree Work


Council Approval

Trees in urban environments are now protected by Local Environment Plans (LEP’s) and these documents are usually supported by further detail in Development Control Plans (DCP’s). Some Council’s may still refer to Tree Preservation or Management Orders (TPO’s) for the management of urban trees. This includes trees on private properties.

Each Local Council has its own set of rules and guidelines particular to the needs of that local area. It is important that when thinking about undertaking ANY tree work you first refer to LEP & DCP or TPO for your Local Council. For a copy of your Councils rules and guidelines click here.

Where Council consent is required for tree works, a written application form will be required to be completed and may need to be supported by an Arborists Report, depending on the rules and guidelines of your Council. Click here for a copy of your Local Councils Application form.  If you require assistance in understanding or clarifying your Council’s rules and guidelines or need help with completing the application form please contact us on 0431 823 295.


10/50 Clearing Entitlement

The Rural Fire Services 10/50 Clearing Legislation allows property owners within the designated 10/50 clearing entitlement area to:

  • Clear trees on their property within 10 metres of a home, without seeking approval.
  • Clear underlying vegetation (other than trees) such as shrubs on their property within 50 metres of a home, without seeking approval.

The 10/50 clearing legislation only applies within designated 10/50 clearing entitlement areas.  Visit the Rural Fire Service website to determine whether your property can be cleared under this legislation, and any conditions that may apply.

The 10/50 clearing legislation is solely administered by the Rural Fire Service. Council does not have access to information to advise property owners whether the rules apply to their land.  All inquiries should be directed to the Rural Fire Service or RFS Bush Fire Information Line 1800 679 737.


Trees (Disputes between neighbours) Act 2006

Many people have concerns over trees within their neighbour’s property. Above All Tree Services will only inspect and undertake a risk assessment, carry out tree works or provide a tree report for a neighbour’s tree with the consent of the owner of the tree.

We encourage people talk to their neighbours and find a reasonable compromise, however if talking to your neighbour is not an option, please refer to Tree (Disputes between neighbours) Act 2006 www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/tbna2006363/ for your rights with regard to neighbouring trees (note that this legislation does not apply to trees owned by Local Council or State Government Authorities.

Please note that Above All Tree Services will not attend a site to carry out an assessment or undertake works on a neighbour’s tree without written permission from the owner of the tree or legal instruction.